Friday, 29 April 2016

Recovery

15th April
No alarm, slept in. Spent the day doing very little. Wandered around town, let Kath know what was happening, got the tube repaired at a Gomeria and had the bike washed by a guy that normally does cars. I just had to keep an eye on him with the pressure washer around the bearing seals, chain and electrics. Came up a treat! Hopefully there is no damage from the puncture repair and the washing!! Paul has let all know of his decision, and all seems ok.

16th April
We took the main road to Mendoza and once again were stunned at how great the riding was and how beautiful the mountain area we were riding through was. We didn’t stop for photos and afterwards Paul’s comment was “ I didn’t want to stop because it was just so good”. We managed to get through Mendoza with no dramas as was the same with San Juan. We arrived in San Jose De Jackal early and went to the service station to fill up with fuel for the next days riding.

Whilst there a young American lad, Tommy, rode up on a very beaten Kawasaki KLR 650. He was twenty four and travelling around on his own having shipped his bike from Miami to Cartagena. He had been going for six months and would be heading home in June. He had had a few hair raising incidents but worked them out. Tommy was basically doing the ride on a whim being inspired by his mother whom had passed away when he was eleven, had done a similar adventure in the states and had financed this trip through his inheritance. Paul and I were quite taken by this young man, he was full of life and vigour  and I must admit embarrassed me in regard to my thoughts of giving up due to my  little misadventure a couple of days before.

We found a hotel in San Jose de Jachal after riding around it’s very dusty dirt streets and asking many for directions. The old blokes drinking in the café being my favourite. They told us to bugger off as Paul’s bike was too noisy. I took my helmet off and joked with them a little, smiling all the while as I  strolled in to the café ensuring to say hola to everyone at the tables as I made my way to the bar to ask the barman. I actually got the right directions we discovered, shook his hand, said chow to all and left the café only to have the same old blokes abuse us as Paul started his bike. I just pretended to put my fingers in my ears, point at his bike and shake my head. We ended up at the main plaza, all of which seem to be named San Jose de Martin, a hero of Argentinas, then found the Plaza hotel for the night. Paul went out for dinner and I went to bed as I had been developing a stomach ache and it was now turning into a case of travellers trots!

17th April


The alarm struck and I dragged my sore tummy and clenched cheeks out of bed! Paul had breakfast while I had a cup of tea and we headed off to the valley of the moon and Talampaya. The day was a little grey and disappointed Paul as the mountain roads we rode on were an amazing feat of engineering and couldn’t have their brilliance brought out in the photographs he took. All in all it was another fantastic  ride. We went into the cafeteria at the park entrance for a coffee and a bite to eat, well Paul did, then to the information area. We were told the rain coming was going to close both the Valle de la Luna and Talampaya because the roads turn to mud. We decided to head off before the rain hit. It hit anyway!


The rain was light and finally gave out but still threatened as we rode on. We made it to La Rioja around five o'clock. We decided that we should bite the bullet and chew up a few kilometres so rode the next hundred and fifty to Catamarca. Ten kilometres into the ride it started raining and didn’t let up. We were soaked, Paul especially as the crutch leaked again and one Gortex top of the range Sidi adventure boot! My gloves were wet again!! Managed to find a hotel and trash the room with wet gear.


After a shower I thought I would manage some dinner so off we went and ordered a pizza and a beer. How dumb am I??? It came loaded with cheese, more like drowned! I had a couple of pieces and felt very ill. Off to bed I went. I didn't sleep as I had really bad gastric reflux which felt like I was having a heart attack then a terrible burning sensation. In between I was running to the toilet. A great night!


18th April
We decided to stay  in Catamarca as I am trashed and need to see a doctor. Got out of bed around ten, no need for the alarm!! Had a shower, called insurance then got the concierge to get  a doctor to come to the hotel. In he came with his male nurse, neither of whom could speak English. Through cartoons, gesticulating and very poor Spanish on my part the message was put across and I basically had to wait it out and don’t drink Gatorade! Cost, free! Not long after Paul came down with the same thing. So today we have both slept for most of the day, we will see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment