16th July
The 30 km to enter San Fransisco was incredibly straight forward, the highways in the USA are very well designed and I am no longer concerned about getting lost or with riding amongst the speeding traffic. Before long the Golden Gate Bridge appeared before me. Just before entering the bridge I spied a viewing area and quickly pulled in. I was a little late getting started this morning because when I woke the entire area had been enveloped in fog. I didn’t really wish to ride in those conditions, plus I didn’t ride all this way expressly to go over the bridge to do it whilst it was enveloped in fog. I had decided to get another couple of hours of shut eye and hope that the fog would clear a little. It was slightly better when I set off but upon reaching the bridge I was a little disappointed as there was still quite a lot of fog around. Still, it probably enhanced the photos as it added a little mysticism as well as realism due to the fact this is actually what the area is like.
Due to my later start the tourist buses had already started pouring in as had the independents, the parking area was full and there was a line up. With my third world mentality of not being concerned with rules and laws I merely rode around the buses and SUVs to park in a no parking zone. I locked the gear on the bike, took my tank bag and walked to several viewing points to take some photos amongst the hundreds of people trying to do the same thing. I made my way back to the bike and was just putting my gear on when I heard someone over a tanoy system telling the person on the white motorcycle they needed to vacate the non parking zone. I started the bike, gave a quick wave and headed off over the bridge. Cheeky bastard!!
Just over the other side of the bridge there was a turn off to what appeared to be a park and small marina area and it was pretty well deserted. I made my way down and was pleasantly surprised to find it devoid of the masses of tourists and contained only a few cyclists and fishermen on the jetty. I managed to get another photographer to take a happy snap of me, the bike and the bridge then walked around taking a few photos of the bridge in the fog that didn’t want to burn off, and Alcatraz in the distance. Back on the bike I made my way to the other side of the highway to yet another viewing position, this time above the bridge. No parking once again so I merely pulled the bike up on to a large area of footpath where it wouldn't be a bother and took my remaining photos of the bridge.
I enjoyed seeing the bridge and could have stayed admiring it for quite some time more but I had to start moving up the coast. There turned out to be some good coastal riding but the day was always subject to stints of highway riding with lots of traffic. The incessant fog ensured the temperature was kept down, I had to wear a long sleeved thermal, jumper and jacket liner to keep the cold out. I must admit I wasn’t complaining, the unbearable heat of previous days had been quite enough. For lunch I stopped at a fish and chip joint by the sea. When I ordered and paid with a card I was asked if I would pay a tip of 15, 20 or 25 %. For what – getting served at the counter then getting my number called out so I could come and get it!!! Ended up in Fort Bragg in the early evening, another 350 km, not bad considering the time spent at the bridge. Dinner was at a Mexican restaurant which was supposed to be authentic but was ordinary, and accommodation at a double room in a very ordinary hotel in a dodgy area for $105, 55 less than the last place!









No comments:
Post a Comment